Blog Image


Further law changes proposed to respond to COVID-19

Home Insights Further law changes proposed to respond to COVID-19

Published on:

Published on: May 05, 2020


The COVID-19 Response (Further Management Measures) Legislation Bill has been introduced to the House today as an omnibus bill to enact amendments to a number of different pieces of legislation to "assist New Zealand to respond to the wide-ranging effects of COVID-19".1  

The Bill includes:

  • changes to insolvency and corporate law "to increase the prospects of businesses surviving the COVID-19 response".
  • changes to commercial property law "to support businesses and commercial landlords to manage situations where...businesses are unable to pay their rent and landlords are unable to meet their mortgage payments".
  • changes to the Commerce Act 1986 to amend the Commerce Commission's powers to authorise conduct, such as business collaborations, during the COVID-19 pandemic. 
  • changes to parental leave in order "to allow workers entitled to parental leave to temporarily return to work to assist in the response to COVID-19 without being disadvantaged by losing entitlements to leave and payments".
  • changes to local government by-election timing.
  • changes to the Gambling Act 2003 to allow certain charities to take payments for their lotteries online or by phone.

As is apparent from the above, the Bill proposes changes to a number of different laws. We will publish separate alerts with our views on certain aspects of these proposals, but in the meantime if you have any questions about how these changes may impact your business, please contact one of our experts below.


  1. COVID-19 Response (Further Management Measures) Legislation Bill. Explanatory Note. 

This article is intended only to provide a summary of the subject covered. It does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. No person should act in reliance on any statement contained in this publication without first obtaining specific professional advice. If you require any advice or further information on the subject matter of this newsletter, please contact the partner/solicitor in the firm who normally advises you, or alternatively contact one of the partners listed below.

Talk to one of our experts:
Related Expertise