Before joining Russell McVeagh, Doran was at another New Zealand law firm for 13 years, five of these as a partner there, and has previously practised in the United Kingdom with leading City and US firms, where he specialised in property development, joint ventures and real estate funds.
Doran has extensive experience advising a diverse range of government and domestic and international private sector clients on portfolio leasing, developments, acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures and construction and infrastructure projects.
Some notable experience includes advising:
- A number of significant national head office developments, including for Spark, the Treasury, Ministry of Housing and Urban Development, Ministry of Education, Transpower, and the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
- Capital & Coast DHB on Te Wao Nui, the Wellington Children's Hospital - winner of the RLB Supreme Award and the WAM Civic, Health and Arts Property Award at the Property Industry Awards 2023.
- Spark New Zealand on its mobile network and national retail and office portfolios.
- Connexa on its mobile network assets.
- A number of Crown Departments and Ministries on their national office portfolios.
- Statutory trusts on their investment property portfolios and developments.
- A range of corporate, Crown and listed entities on seismic building issues.
- Victoria University of Wellington on its student accommodation developments.
- The Wellington Town Hall redevelopment for the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.