In the ideas economy, protecting and capitalising on intellectual property is central to many companies. Yet, firms have to be able to negotiate the legal frameworks of intellectual property effectively if they want to turn an innovation into profit.
Clients benefit from our collaborative approach to resolving intellectual property issues, drawing from our public law and corporate expertise, and, in the event of a dispute, our skilled litigators.
Our clients include major local and international corporates and organisations in the telecommunications, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, FMCG, media and sporting industries.
Our team provides comprehensive and clear advice on all types of intellectual property assets. This includes trade marks, designs, copyright, confidential information, joint ventures, licensing arrangements, research and development arrangements and IP collaboration/development arrangements.
We seek commercial outcomes which suit our clients' needs. However, when matters cannot be resolved, we frequently advise on all disputes involving intellectual property, including trade marks, copyright, designs, confidential information, passing off, unfair trading (including the Fair Trading Act and the economic torts), consumer law, border protection measures, social media and defamation. We regularly represent our clients in IPONZ hearings and court proceedings when IP disputes cannot be resolved.
In cases where emergency interim relief is required to protect our client's intellectual and confidential property interests, our lawyers bring an experienced hand in negotiating these proceedings under pressure.
Clients enlist our government relations specialists to guide them through submissions to Parliamentary Select Committees on legislation affecting intellectual property rights.
The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand is in the process of reviewing its current fee regime. Read our insights here (PDF).
Our experience includes:
- Providing litigious and non-litigious advice in relation to all forms of intellectual property, including trade marks, designs and copyright.
- Providing trainings and compliance modules on intellectual property protection.
- Acting on a number of high profile injunctive and substantive proceedings involving the use of IP in the energy, telecommunications, sports and food and beverage industries.
- Providing advice on intellectual property issues arising in relation to border protection, anti-counterfeiting, advertising and social media.
- Providing comprehensive advice on all intellectual property related matters in corporate transactions.