Blockchain powered solutions
Blockchain, other distributed ledger technologies and smart contracts are in their infancy, but increasingly New Zealand businesses are moving from 'proofs of concept' to solutions with tangible benefits. To realise potential gains and mitigate risks, businesses in this space need informed advice on the regulatory and legal environment.
Our teams advise clients on all aspects of blockchain solutions, with expertise in finance, regulation, corporate transactions, intellectual property and technology litigation.
Our experience includes advising:
- An international telecoms company on a blockchain project to track the provenance of telephone batteries.
- A blue-chip technology company on its regulatory issues arising from a blockchain currency transfer solution.
- An international technology company on the legal implications of offering and selling crypto-tokens to New Zealand investors.
- A start-up technology company on how to engage with New Zealand regulators in respect of a financial product market using blockchain technology for clearing and settlement.
Open banking refers to technology (typically APIs) used by banks and financial institutions to share customer data with third party service providers, enabling them to provide of a range of different services, from alternative payment mechanisms to enhanced budgeting and accounting software. The New Zealand Government has been encouraging the industry to continue towards developing an open banking framework and has recently confirmed its decision to establish a Consumer Data Right framework, with legislation coming as soon as 2022.
We remain at the forefront of developments in this area of FinTech. Our experience includes advising:
- The New Zealand Data Economy Collective on the establishment, consultation and response to the Government's proposed introduction of a Consumer Data Right in New Zealand.
- An Australasian bank on the development of open API technology in connection with their open banking program.
- On the development of Zeal Systems as an open banking platform and the joint venture between major retail banks in commercialising this platform.
- A major retail bank on the implications of open banking.
Our payment systems team offers a comprehensive service, consisting of experts across banking and finance, technology, privacy, competition/antitrust, consumer law, economic regulation, and law reform. Read more about our Payments Systems expertise here.
Robo-advice is simply the giving of financial advice by a computer. As AI technology reaches ever greater heights, the potential for software to deliver sound, intelligent, personalised advice is fast becoming reality. The application of this technology to the highly-regulated financial sector promises huge increases in efficiency and accuracy of advice, but also raises intriguing legal questions.
These are just a few of the emerging technologies that promise to shape the commercial world. The potential applications of FinTech are limitless, and our team is here to advise you every ground-breaking step of the way.