Russell McVeagh is New Zealand's premier law firm committed to operating at the cutting edge of legal practice. Our award-winning team of lawyers across Auckland | Tāmaki Makaurau and Wellington | Te Whanganui-a-Tara are internationally recognised for their thought leadership, depth of experience and ability to translate complex legal issues into client success stories.
Our values of Respect | Manaaki, Curiosity | Māhirahira, Excellence | Whai hiranga and Tenacity | Whakapau kaha reflect who we are and how we work together.
About the role
Our Auckland litigation team has an exciting opportunity for a litigator ideally with 2-4 years' litigation experience. You will have excellent exposure to a wide variety of complex restructuring and insolvency matters, with an opportunity to work on a wider array of commercial disputes.
Our dedicated national restructuring and insolvency practice, led by Matthew Kersey and Polly Pope, advise on a full range of restructuring and insolvency matters, including workouts and turnarounds, formal insolvencies, cross-border insolvencies, directors duties and litigation in this sector. The team is known for being "a very experienced team with great depth" (Legal 500, 2023) and for having "a more global outlook" with "an excellent bench" (Chambers & Partners 2023).
You will get exposure to interesting work for our domestic and international client base. A selection of recent significant instructions includes advising:
- The senior lender in respect of the Ruapehu Alpine Lifts restructuring.
- The liquidators in respect of the cross-border insolvency of Halifax NZ.
- A senior lender in respect of the restructurings of Burger King NZ.
- The receivers of FE Investments.
- The administrators of CBL Corporation (formerly NZX: CBL).
- The receivers of the Pumpkin Patch group (formerly NZX: PPL).
You will engage with the court and work alongside a range of practice groups within Russell McVeagh. You will learn from the best in an enthusiastic and high-achieving team and a firm that is committed to developing your career and fostering a positive work environment.
If you are looking for an opportunity to work within a supportive, ambitious, growing and energetic team and would like to join an award-winning full-service firm, we would like to hear from you. The successful candidate will have:
- A legal qualification with 2-4 years of experience with a desire to focus on restructuring and insolvency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and analytical skills. Ability to work independently and think critically.
- Ability to build connections and work collaboratively.
We offer a wide range of employee benefits focused on supporting our people to succeed and thrive, some of which include:
- Competitive remuneration package;
- Support, coaching, and considered training and development programmes;
- Annual wellness subsidy, phone allowance, and talent referral bonus incentives; and
- Team charity days, sports days, annual ball, and regular team events.
How to apply
To apply, please submit your CV and academic transcript.
We believe in enabling a supportive and inclusive workplace for everyone. Please click here for further information about Russell McVeagh's diversity and inclusion vision and commitment.
Our firm is invested in achieving transformational change and having a positive impact – our 2022 Environment, Social and Governance (ESG) Report captures our firm's progress on our commitment to helping to shape a sustainable and thriving Aotearoa New Zealand. You can read our 2022 report, 'Our Contribution to Aotearoa New Zealand | Tō tatou ki Aotearoa' here.
For more information, or to have a confidential discussion about this position please email our Talent Advisor, Ana Allid, or call +64 9 367 8400.